Security specialist Continent 8 blocked 178 DDoS attacks in Q2 2022. Craig Lusher from our Secure team reviews the latest company data, as well as recent global attacks and trends.
Q2 2022 DDoS stats
Our latest statistics show the number of DDoS attacks almost doubled from Q1 2022 to Q2 2022, up from 106 events in the last quarter to 178.
The stats for the period 1 April to 30 June 2022, relate to more than 20 of our customers based in different locations around the world. Key highlights include:
- Blocked 178 DDoS attacks, up from 106 in previous quarter
- 25 of the observed attacks had repeat attacks within a 24-hour period
- One customer was attacked 69 times during this period
- Average attack size during this period was 33.1Gbps, down from 43.1Gbps in previous quarter
- Peak attack size hit 1.5Tbps
- Longest sustained attack was 4.3 hours
- Customers were under attack for a total of 48.9 hours during this period
The location subject to the largest number of attacks during the period was Taiwan – this is an emerging trend.
Craig Lusher, Senior Product Specialist – Secure, at Continent 8 Technologies, said: “Even during this relatively quiet period, we continue to see significant DDoS attacks on our customers. While most attacks remain relatively small, it is now commonplace to see attacks peak at over 1Tbps; we have blocked these large scale attacks every quarter during 2021 and 2022 to date.
“DDoS attacks, and the sophistication of these, will only increase, so it’s never been a more important time to protect your business and brand.”
The evolving DDoS landscape
What used to be minor nuisances by rookie attackers, have become major and targeted attacks by sophisticated cyber criminals. We continue to see DDoS attacks hitting the news – recently cybercriminals targeted the US Congress website. And back in March the Israeli government was temporarily knocked offline.
In fact, DDoS attacks are now everyday occurrences, with no business vertical immune to being the target. The cost of an attack to your brand is higher than ever, with the average cost of a data breach jumping to $4.24 million as of 2021 (+10% from 2020).
Customers and businesses should be asking themselves, ‘are you protected?’.
Continent 8’s DDoS Protection
Recently named a key player in the DDoS attack solution market (source: Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) Attack Solution Market Industry Development 2022 – 2028), we have been protecting the world’s most valuable information for over two decades. Our comprehensive cybersecurity solutions include effective and scalable protection against DDoS attacks.
Our mitigation service provides an effective defence against multi-vector volumetric attacks. Key features include:
- Geographically distributed high-capacity IP network which has been built to absorb attacks
- Complete infrastructure protection with Layer 3 and 4 Volumetric protection with Level 7 challenges to reduce traffic from SSL based attacks
- High-capacity scrubbing centres
- BGP filtering technology which is used to filter attack traffic at the network edge
- Attack detection technology to monitor and detect attacks
- Highly experienced team and a Customer Support Portal to view and interpret data flow and attack events
Our solution continues to evolve and in recent months we have amplified our scrubbing capacity to 2.0+Tbps, as well as increased our scrubbing centres geographically deployed across multiple continents. Locations now include: Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Miami, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Singapore, Hong Kong and Sao Paulo.
Our proven platform is one you can rely on with a capacity only matched by the largest DDoS providers on the planet. Learn more about our DDoS solutions here or contact Craig via email@example.com